Thursday, May 8, 2014

Examining Gender, Race and Body Image in a Virtual World


My observation was that I found that at first there was a lag of time for the others to approach me.  What felt like 10 mins but was probably 1 min that had passed before the others started to come closer.  


As I was walking to find others another avatar popped up in front of me.  We stood there for a while and I kept my patience to see what would happen.  After about 5 mins, the avatar started to nod back and forth.  I swayed back and forth to let the avatar know that I appreciate the nod then I proceeded to find no one else.


In Miami Beach, I was welcomed and looked for others.  I got uncomfortable then left to search another scene.


Here at Caribbean - there was plenty of dancing!


Uncomfortable! I changed avatar to green animal but others were receptive.  After quite some time, one avatar was responsive with a big SMILE hanging above.  I think that just by being in a Virtual World you won't be ignored no matter what your avatar looks like - I think people who choose to head to a Virtual World anticipate that others may approach you -- and socialize.

This are examples experiment when changing avatar in Second Life. It is a final exercise from the Immersive Education course that I am taking at Boston College. The course is called Discovering Computer Graphics. For details, visit the immersive BC portal at http://ImmersiveEducation.org/@/bc

No comments:

Post a Comment